Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Visitors to the farm


I'm big on "trading" and barter. I recently traded a beautiful, black, male suri alpaca for a female llama and gelded suri alpaca.
Good trade. Just So Perfect (what sort of name is that?) is the new llama. You can see her in the photo by our gate (with the letter 'W'). She's a tall, stretchy girl with, I hope, nice fleece. It's hard to tell with her fiber all shorn -- but I can hope.
Yesterday Amy, Ashley and Andrew were at the farm -- and helpers, Jayden and Rebecca. We were surprised with a visit from Harry and Millie, John and Mary -- from Gillespie, IL. They belong to a senior citizen group that is scheduling a farm visit in September or October.
We took them out on the golf car -- and they got to meet some of the llamas and alpacas -- and also saw our newest arrival, Baxter.
The kids and I had a delicious lunch of turkey, mac n cheese, applesauce, garden tomatoes, strawberries and chocolate chip cookies. It was yummy.
Such a great way to spend a summer day.













3 comments:

  1. I love seeing all your llamas! I noticed in that pic of the new llama you just acquired that it looks like she has a patch where there may be less hair....was that once a bald patch? I ask this because I have just gotten 2 llamas last month and one of them has some sort of skin condition where she has 2 bald patches along her back. She has been tested for most everything I think and was given a strong antibiotic about 3 mos ago...one of the patches is beginning to get soft fuzzy hair(very slowly) but the other one thats up closer to the back of her neck hasnt shown any signs of improvement....do you have any thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be shear burn -- from being cut too close during shearing. I would simply give her ivermectin injectable -- and that usually solves the problem, if it's mite related.

    On Justie, it's just a "light patch" that may have been a bare spot awhile ago.

    Sometimes if they have an injury it grows back funky like that.
    Thanks for your comment, I appreciate knowing that someone is paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course! Ive left comments before...when you first started your blog. In fact, I believe I had emailed with you when I was living back in Illinois...when you were still working for SELR. I was looking for llama farms to get some hands on experience....anyway...Im in WA now. Just moved here a few mos ago...
    My llamas were a rescue and they had only been shorn a few times. The woman who rescued them said the patches were most likely due to the severe matting they had....but im not sure we will ever know for certain.

    ReplyDelete