Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tractor repair -- and wrestling thistles


I haven't been this excited about something in ages.

When I graduated from high school back in 1966 there were only a few career paths open to women: teacher, housewife, nurse, secretary. Those were the options.

Today I took apart the sediment bowl of a 1950 Ford 8N tractor -- and replaced the terminal to the battery, too. The thing hasn't been running since October of last year. I FIGURED IT OUT!

It started and ran beautifully.

I am so proud of myself. I'm a mechanic of sorts. Wow.

Just got done cutting the thistles in the pasture. Looks great. In the past I would have called the "tractor people" to repair the tractor and been charged around $300 for this job. I did it myself. Wow.
As I was cutting the field I couldn't help but think of a dear friend, Professor Lyman Holden. He used to come over and dig thistles out of the pasture. He was a brilliant math teacher at SIU-Edwardsville. But he would set aside his "smarts" and come in jeans, a bandanna and a hat, and dig thistles. Oh how I miss Lyman (who is playing his tuba in heaven now). Wanted you all to see his picture -- right after he wrestled a thistle out of the ground.

If Lyman could humble himself to dig thistles, who knew I would grow up to be a tractor mechanic?

No comments:

Post a Comment