Saturday, July 2, 2011

Crazy heat













Okay. I know it's the 4th of July soon -- but does it ALWAYS have to be scorching hot in the Lou?







My alpacas and llamas are very, very sick of the high temps and high humidity. It makes them lethargic -- and they move like molasses.

The babies still manage to leap and zip through the pastures -- but their mamas just meander.

Shearing is a must in our neck of the woods -- and then, of course, misters, sprinklers, hosing off, fans -- all of it.

Over the years I've never lost a llama or alpaca due to the winter's cold. You can blanket them, if necessary, put warm hot water bottles around them -- even close them inside. But there's no getting away from the intense heat.

I thought you might like to see some pix of my guys and the ways they stay cool.

Hopefully this latest heat wave won't last. In fact, I hear that we might be in the 80s by Monday. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment