Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday on the farm












It was Tuesday. Every Tuesday I have 4 homeschool kids who come to the farm to learn about agribusiness. Today's bonus was that Steve and Diane came to the farm, too.

We accomplished a wide variety of farm stuff today. Trimming toenails, giving injections, cleaning the barn, working on catching/haltering activities, doing lots of fence repair, feeding grain and hay -- the list was long.

I've been allowing local youth and adult volunteers to come to the farm for over 10 years. I teach them all about the care and feeding of camelids. They are ready to have their own farms someday after they leave my apprentice program. It's been a wonderful experience for me and for those privileged few who get to hang out here.

Just today, for example, Michelle learned how to give injections and trim toenails. Diane worked on her halter training skills and "command voice" and "praise voice" -- to let the animal know the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Steve repaired fences and taught the homeschool kids the proper way to use wire to secure t-posts and fencing.

I would like to continue this work. I would need a grant to help me do so. Any ideas?









No comments:

Post a Comment