Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spin a Bag -- return on investment

























Since December 2010 I've sent out 71 boxes of fiber to spinners.


The plan goes like this: I mail out two fleeces. One is to be spun into double ply yarn for me, and the other is theirs to keep. I ask for the yarns to be returned within one year.


Not that complicated, is it?


One problem. I've only received about 10% of the yarns mailed back to me.


The fleeces have cost me an average of 10 bucks to mail. The weights have varied from 6 to 9 pounds of fiber.


The fleeces have gone to CA, NE, UT, MD, WA, FL, KY, TX, ME, MA, IL, MO, CO, TN, PA, VA, MN, OH, SC, KS, IA, MI, WI, NY, ND, GA, NC, ID, CT, OR, AL, AR, IN, and New Brunswick, Canada. That's 33 states and our northern neighbor.


I sent these fleeces, from the backs of my own animals, in good faith. I sent them to people who requested the opportunity to work with alpaca fiber. People that I trusted with the beautiful, luxurious "fiber of the gods" from the ancient Mayan and Incan empires.


I simply ask for these fleeces to be returned as double ply yarn. I ask that they, who theoretically stood and did this handshake deal with me, honor their promise. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I would hate to lose my faith in my fellow man -- or woman.

1 comment:

  1. That's awful Julie...honestly I really felt your heartache in your post. I'd have LOVED to have spun some for you but was worried I wouldn't do it justice since I was a very raw beginner when I read your idea. People can be such takers. I'd love to spin some of your fibre :) How much would I need to pay to buy some from you?

    Kind Regards
    Sam in Australia

    ReplyDelete